15 Oct Precision Construction Services Awarded Construction Contract to Repair Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Detention Center Roof in Honolulu
Precision Construction Services was awarded the 18,000 SF Roof Repair Contract for the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Detention Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.
This roofing project is part of the detention center’s ongoing assessment of and repairs to their facility. The Bureau of Prisons requested that Precision provide an assessment of the aging metal warehouse roof. This prefabricated, lightweight metal roof was originally installed in 2001; due to the harsh marine environment, it experienced rapid deterioration and multiple failures. As part of Precision’s assessment, multiple recommendations for repair were made to accommodate various budgets, duration of work, and overall invasiveness to the those who work and are housed within the detention center.
With this comprehensive assessment in hand, the Bureau of Prisons made an informed decision to apply a new silicone roof coating with a 20-year warranty. Precision was selected as the contractor for the project based on its qualifications, experience, and thoughtful approach to the facility’s roofing problem.
As the General Contractor for the project, Precision will ensure that the work performed does not interfere with the institution’s daily operations, exceeds all OSHA requirements, protects the existing and neighboring facilities, and ensures no deviations to the project schedule.
When asked about the project, Ryan Swenson, Senior Project Manager at Precision Construction Services said, “I’m thrilled that Precision was chosen for this project. It is always encouraging to see all the hard work put in during the preconstruction of a project come to a reality. Also, as a Native-Hawaiian owned firm, it is great to see more projects come from the islands!”
The scope of work for the project:
- General Project Requirements: Develop and maintain the construction schedule, logistics plan, safety plan and quality control plan.
- Prepare the Existing Roof: Remove all existing flashings from curbs, pipes, penetrations, etc. Remove all existing sealants, expansion joints, compression bars, etc. Fully clean roof of loose debris, dust and dirt.
- Testing: Perform a roof coating adhesion test and verify for compliance with project specifications.
- Installation of Roof Coating: Reseal all penetrations, reinstall compression bars, anchors, etc.; apply silicone mastic between seams and joints. Apply the silicone coating per the manufacturer’s requirement.
- Verification: Verify all installation procedures were performed per specifications, provide photo documentation and daily reports for manufacturer’s warranty.
- Close-Out: Close-out the project with the facility manager, finalizing any remaining punch list items.
The Honolulu Roofing Project is the fifth major BOP project awarded to Precision Construction Services during 2019, and the first in Hawaii. This project is anticipated to be completed by the end of the year.