21 Nov Precision Construction Services Awarded New Construction Contract for Island Plaza in Yosemite National Park
Precision Construction Services was awarded the National Park Service’s Prime Contract for the construction of Yosemite’s Island Plaza.
The Island Plaza surrounds the South Lot Comfort Station with new, decorative concrete, giant boulders for seating, informational signage, artist sculptures, picnic areas, and more. This type of space is valuable and much-needed for the comfort of the park’s guests.
Located in the heart of the Yosemite Valley, the South Lot is a hub for all of the park’s visitors. The Island Plaza, in conjunction with the new Comfort Station, will provide a new place to relax, wait for the bus, or gaze up at the mesmerizing Half Dome in the distance.
As the General Contractor for this project, Precision will manage the field coordination and building efforts alongside managing the communication with the client and design team. Like the Comfort Station, Precision will self-perform most of the project’s work with in-house team members. The scope of work includes:
- Demolition of existing parking area and flatwork
- Pour new, decorative concrete flatwork/paving, curbs and gutters
- Install truncated domes and ensure project meets ADA requirements
- Install boulder seating, wood benches, trash receptable, accessible picnic table, and bike racks
- Prepare site for future expansion needs, including running new conduit, irrigation and related items
The Yosemite Island Plaza is part of the previously awarded South Lot Comfort Station Project. The project is expected to run concurrently with the construction of the Comfort Station and be completed by the same end-of-year deadline.